Saturday, December 10, 2011

Do you have a 2 for 1 special?

A phrase the has been running through my head throughout the past couple of months:

God is still God and God is still good

has been my encouragement when I get discouraged and frustrated during difficult situations. Yes, the situation may be really trying and I wish I could be freed from it, but

God is still God and God is still good

He has me (and the entire situation) in the palm of His hands. I'm taken care of. He knows exactly what I'm dealing with and where it will take me.

Last Sunday, December 4, I didn't know how much I would really need to hold on to these words (and other truths from the Lord) in the week to come.

On Monday, December 5, I got the call dreaded by most parents: "Gabe was in an accident. Could you please come to the school?" I arrived less than 5 minutes before the ambulance that would then take him to the emergency room for a broken arm. Ryan met us at the clinic. (He was participating in a 'jumping contest' with some other kids. Who can jump the farthest after swinging from the bar....I think Gabe won by an arm.) He broke his arm above the elbow pretty badly, however they tried to set it and then put it in a cast. We were home just in time to get a brief visit with our dear, dear friend Andy Vera, from Bolivia. It was wonderful to have 'almost family' with us during that emotional day.

Gabe was in a considerable amount of pain for the next two days and pretty swollen. Wednesday morning we went back to the doctor and then for a second opinion later in the afternoon. The diagnosis was the same: the bone had moved out of place and twisted slightly. They would need to put put it back in place and then probably put 2 pins in. We came home even more emotional dealing with the thought of putting our boy back to sleep again and perform yet another procedure on his hurt arm.

Fast forward to Friday (or was it Monday, December 5th again?)...I received the call dreaded by most parents: "Eliana was in an accident. I think she broke her arm. Could you please come to the school?" I couldn't believe what I just heard. Wait, what? I immediately grabbed Gabe (who was resting on the couch) and we walked (not too fast as Gabe was still in pain) to find a taxi to take us to the school. (On the way, we were able to get ahold of Ryan and he met us at school.) This time we took Eliana (more hysterical than her older brother) ourselves, with the school nurse, to the clinic. The diagnosis: Eliana broke her arm, the radius bone, just below the wrist and the bone had shifted and she may need to have a pin inserted, immediately.

Yes, you just read correctly, the Smedes children have done the near impossible, 2 broken arms in a week.

After hearing Eliana's diagnosis we then had to pick up Toby from school and take the boys to a friend's home and then take Eliana to the main clinic (we didn't know we had arrived at a branch clinic, not equipped for surgery). Ryan braved Lima's crazy friday afternoon traffic to take his baby girl to the clinic almost across town. It was a little confusing checking in:
"yes, we have 'Smedes' scheduled for surgery tomorrow"
"no, that is our son. We are here with our daughter who needs the same procedure."
After waiting the six hours after eating we were able to get Eliana into the surgery room (I was with her until she fell asleep) and then waited... Success! They were able to put the bones in place and NO pins were needed. We were rejoicing with the Lord and his incredible care. We made it home last night at 9:00pm.

As I write, Ryan slipped out for a run before he needs to take Gabe to the same clinic, with the same doctor, in the same surgery room and almost same procedure. Gabe is scheduled for noon today, which is 9am Seattle time. Please pray for God's hand upon Dr. Molfino as he puts the bones back into place and that there are no complications. And pray for peace that surpasses understanding to fall upon Gabe. He is quite nervous. This has been an amazing week to proclaim:

God is still God and God is still good.

Gabe has been drawn to the scriptures this week and we have all felt His presence with us to strongly.

Ryan and I are emotionally drained right now and feeling week. We need your prayers and support to help carry us through this time. We know will make it through, we know that kids bodies heal fast, that this is a common procedure, we know all the right words, but we still need to make it through each hour and day, loving our children, being patient, overflowing with grace, and receiving His love.




If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the image of gold you have set up." Daniel 3:17, 18

1 comment:

LosOsosMitchells said...

Our prayers surround you and go before you. Thank you for LIVING your faith. Love you all!