Monday, October 1, 2012

First Time in DRC and Burundi


I wish you a good morning sitting here in a hotel overlooking the southernmost point of Lake Kivu in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).  This is my second trip to Africa, first to DRC and Burundi.  In my new role with FH’s food security and livelihoods programs we are responsible for helping to manage food security programs financed through USAID.  FH DRC manages one of our largest programs and so I am visiting in order to meet some colleagues and visit our programs.  I hope this to be one of a few blog entries over the next two weeks. 

I came into the DRC from Rwanda and right at the border the differences are staggering.  Rwanda is quite clean and orderly.  There are paved roads on the Rwandan side of the border while DRC immediately begins dirt roads and chaotic traffic.  The DRC consistently ranks extremely low on most all development scores, taking the 176th place of 182 countries ranked on the UN’s Human Development Index in 2009.  43% of the children under age five are chronically malnourished and in the South Kivu and Katanga districts where FH is working 50% and 43% of children are stunted – meaning that they will never attain their growth and brain development potential.  DRC is a huge country, with tremendous natural resources but its torrid history of slavery, colonial exploitation, conflict and dictatorship have created widespread corruption, abuse and dependency. FH has been working in DRC since 2005.  I hope to report back on some of the ways that this past is being transformed into a sweeter future.

No comments: