As we were preparing to move overseas again, this time with three children, everyone kept saying: "Oh, kids are like sponges, they'll pick up the language so quickly." And I would always agree, but with the thought in the back of my head, of..."I'm taking forever to learn to communicate in another language, how are my kids going to do it?"
God, you are amazing! You have created us with an incredible capacity for learning.
Now, I will agree, kids are definitely like sponges, absorbing all that is around them. Toby started school one year ago this week. Today, he is communicating in Spanish in full sentences and has a suprising confidence in his bilingual school setting. Most days last year, Toby willingly went to school, played with the kids, but never participated in class, never raised h

is hand, never sp

oke in front of his class and rarely spoke to the teacher (who spoke English). Today was 'Pet Day' and Toby brought our hamster, Peanut. He shared in front of all 50 kids about his hamster...in Spanish! This was his second presentation in Spanish this year. The teachers tell me he has no problems communicating, has many friends, and frequently participates in class. I can't stop thanking the Lord for his care, support and design of the human mind.
Two nights

ago Gabe finished reading a book for school, in Spanish. Actually, I had come into his room after bed and found him up late reading...in Spanish. I have yet to do that myself. This year he rarely needs help to do his Spanish homework. When a special friend of his comes to play I hear Gabe speaking Spanish and his friend responding in English. Again, I give thanks to the Lord for easing their adjustment to a new, home, culture and language.
Eliana has started preschool for the first time this March and this morning she wanted to enter "by myself, mommy." She is becoming more comfortable with Spanish, but would still much prefer English. Sometimes I hear her making up Spanish sounding

words when she's singing to herself. She loves her preschool and especially her teacher.
We give thanks to God for helping our kids adjust so incredibly well, and providing them with many friendships. As we are now waking up to cold and humid days we thank the Lord for each healthy day and pray that we don't relive last year's miserably sick winter.
1 comment:
How wonderful! We are so glad to hear about God's faithfulness to your whole family.
Post a Comment