
I am writing from the jungle town of Pucallpa where I am visiting our office and communities with my Bolivian supervisor who works in Guatemala, Victor Cortez. Pucallpa is a rapidly growing industrial town in the Amazon jungle, the last town in central Peru before reaching the Brazil border through the jungle. I have spent a lot of days in communities in both Lima and Pucallpa this week, a rarity for me these days, but an invigorating change of pace and perspective. I have been ministered to a lot this week sitting in homes and community centers in shanty towns talking with pastors, community leaders, mothers, and youth who are dreaming big dreams and trusting God and working hard to change their future.
On Tuesday I learned so much about sacrifice and priority management from mothers who selflessly serve their husbands and children in the midst of extremely challenging physical circumstances – scarcely met economic needs, no sanitation, prevalent infectious diseases, theft and violence. These same women also serve their communities in leadership roles such as voluntary health promoters, mother leaders, community counselors and even as presidents of their community associations; all without compensation or reward. The changes they bring in their communities and homes are inspiring. No less amazing is the transformation occurring in their own minds – recovering their identities in God and discovering what they are good at and doing that in favor of their communities.
God is showing us in FH to respect the way he uses the
foolishness of this world to shame the wise. When looking at poverty in a holistic manner we realize we all have needs. I am reminded of the startling comments that, "Some people are so poor that the only thing they have is money!"
As I am challenged to lead our organization to dream, to plan and to make significant changes, it is an amazing thing to watch God use those whom society considers to be weak, uneducated and poor to provide wise and true counsel. Because we are all poor and needy we need one another to help us along the way. Who might God be using to speak to you today?
2 comments:
Thanks for writing this. Goes well with what I'm reading--Jonathon Wilson-Hartgrove's _God's Economy: Redefining the Health and Wealth Gospel._ He says, "The abundant life Jesus offers is freedom from the poverty that says some people are worthless and from the wealth that tempts others to forget God."
Safe travels, brother. Glad y'all are there doing what you're doing.
You brought me to tears and to my knees. I have so much and yet so little...
Post a Comment